Resources > Section 17 > Application Packet > J-1 program types
#17-103J-1 Summer Work Travel (SWT)PDFReturnURL
BridgeUSA (J-1 visa) provides opportunities for qualified foreign nationals to travel and gain experience in the US through a wide range of programs for periods ranging from a few weeks to several years.
BridgeUSA (J-1 visa) Summer Work Travel programs give foreign students the opportunity to live and work in the United States during their summer vacation from college or university to experience and to be exposed to the people and way of life in the United States.
• Foreign nationals who are bona fide foreign post-secondary students
• At the time of application are enrolled in and actively pursuing a degree or a full-time course of study at a foreign ministerially-recognized post-secondary, classroom-based, academic institution
• Have successfully completed at least one semester, or equivalent, of post-secondary academic study
• Whose purpose is to work and travel in the United States for up to four months during his or her break between academic years
• Have sufficiently proficiency in conversational English and reading comprehension to successfully interact in an English speaking environment
• Pre-placed in a job prior to entry unless from a visa waiver country

Participants come during their summer vacation to share their culture and ideas with Americans and be exposed to Americans’ way of life in the US through temporary work and travel opportunities.

Maximum 4 months