Resources > J-1 Visa Application & US Entry

Exchange visitor (J-1) visa
Visa Waiver Program & ESTA

Citizens from 40 countries on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) are allowed to travel to the US for “business, tourism, visiting” or pleasure for stays of 90 days or less without a visa provided that they have an e-passport, register through ESTA, and meet the standard VWP conditions.

• ESTA stands for Electronic System for Travel Authorization
• ESTA is an online system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel under the VWP
• ESTA applications can be submitted at any time prior to travel

NOTE: ESTA is not for people who wish to intern or receive training the US. However, participants qualified for ESTA may visit Canada or Mexico after their program has ended and return to the US on ESTA (as their J-1 visa would have expired by then) to fly back home.
Related topicsESTA InformationOfficial ESTA Application