Resources > Departure & Arrival


Social Security numbers (SSN) are necessary for employers to report wages to the federal and state governments for tax purposes. It is a requirement for all individuals, including salary-receiving exchange visitors, who are legally authorized to work in the US to obtain an SSN.
Social Security Card

1 What is it? A Social Security card (SSC) issued by the Social Security Administration (SSA) provides a unique nine-digit identifying number that is used for important purposes, including employment, tax reporting, and accessing certain government benefits. The SSC is vital for participants to receive payment for a US job and for hosts to accurately record and report wages to the IRS.

NOTE: A dishonest person who has your Social Security number can use it to get other personal information about you. Be very cautious to whom you give this number. For more, click HERE

2 Who needs it? Participants who earn income in the US should apply for a Social Security card from the Social Security Administration (SSA) for tax reporting purposes. Participants who receive non-wage income, such as a stipend, may apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for tax purposes. Participants who do not earn any income in the US do not need to apply for a Social Security card.

3 Where to apply? Participants should apply for a Social Security card from the SSA card center that corresponds to their US residence. It is important to ensure that the provided address can safely receive mail for the card to be sent. If mail delivery is not secure, participants can inquire with the office if it is possible to pick up the card in person, as some offices may allow for this option.

4 How to apply? Before visiting the card center field office, participants should schedule an appointment in advance by completing an online form. Upon completion, the screen will display a confirmation number along with the designated card center where they can apply within 45 days. Click HERE for more.

Step 1 Schedule an appointment online - Click HERE
Step 2 Complete SEVIS check-in, validate your record, and wait for at least two days for activation
Step 3 Visit a SSA Card Center to apply for an SSC in person - Click HERE
Step 4 Obtain the SSC by mail - Click HERE to check the application status

5 What to bring? When applying, participants should bring the following documents.

• Application (Form SS-5) - Click HERE
• Unexpired Passport
• Most Recent Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record
• Form DS-2019
• Support letter issued by FUSIA
Related topicsPost-Arrival ChecklistUS Income Tax 1Foreign Workers and Social Security NumbersEmployer Responsibilities from SSACheck SSC Application StatusForm SS-5